- They should get credited in each episode. Seriously, they have more expression than Stefan does in his ENTIRE FACE, which pretty much alternates between "brooding" and "brooding-er."
Elena: I think you should stop with the flirty little comments and the eye thing you do.
Damon: What eye thing? (Founder's Day)2. He has slick dance moves.
- The Damon-and-Vicki dance party was a season one highlight, no doubt about it.
(No embedding allowed, but here's the link if you want to re-experience the awesome!)
3. He's delightfully villainous.
- I haven't been this entertained by a badass vampire since Spike called humans "Chicken McNuggets with legs" on Buffy. The devil-may-care attitude he takes to killing, feeding, and maiming always gives me chuckles.
"I have two liters of soccer mom in the fridge." (Let the Right One In)4. He's actually despicable and evil.
- When he killed Stefan's oh-so-sweet-and-fun vampire BFF Lexie after framing her for murder... ouch.
5. He may well be redeemable.
- First he volunteers to alter Jeremy's memory to remove the pain of Vickie's death. Then he does a couple more suspiciously nice-seeming things. THEN in the finale he pours his heart out to Elena Katherine. But he's still a badass and hits on (who he thinks is) his brother's girlfriend can't-be-undead-without-you soulmate.
6. He makes for a heckuva love triangle.
- Case in point: The sexual tension-ridden formal dance in "Miss Mystic Falls." Not touching has never been so hot.
"I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl." (Founder's Day)7. His abs.
- A girl can drool, ya know.
8. He's a non-discriminating manwhore.
- High school girls, sorority girls, and slutty moms? Sign him up. He even flirts with the sheriff.
9. He's a one-woman vampire kinda guy.
- He's spent the entirety of his undead existence brooding over his lost love, Katherine, and he's willing to kill anyone and everyone to free her from her underground tomb. Um, except she was never trapped. Sorry Damon. After nearly 150 years, what a kick in the groin. No wonder he's pissed.
10. His mockery of vegetarian do-gooder vampires is priceless.
- Stefan's a few steps above Edward Cullen in the boring vampire boyfriend category, considering he cracks a joke once every 6 episodes, but Damon still rules.
On Stefan's choice of animal blood diet:
"When was the last time you had something bigger than a squirrel?"
"Have you been eating bunnies?"
"Stefan likes puppy blood... little Golden Retriever blood with floppy ears. That's his favorite."
"I'll adopt the Stefan diet, only nothing with feathers."
"Is it skunk? Saint Bernard? Bambi?"
And in "Family Ties," even Edward Cullen doesn't escape unscathed:
Damon: What's so special about this Bella girl? Edward's so whipped.
Caroline: You have to read the first book first, otherwise it won't make sense.
Damon: Uh, I miss Ann Rice, she was so on it.
Caroline: Hey, how come you don't sparkle?
Damon: Because I live in the real world where vampires burn in the sun.
In conclusion? Love him or hate him, Damon's complexities and twisted sense of humor make him hands-down the best character on the Vampire Diaries. And his hotness doesn't hurt.
Tell me tell me tell me! Who's your favorite Vampire Diaries character? Why do you love Damon? Or what shows do you watch because of one awesome character?
For more Vampire Diaries entertainment:
- Check out Frankie's hilarious recaps ... which are the other reason I tune in each week!
- And a video compilation of funny Damon quotes...