Hi Laurie, welcome to the FNC! Thank you so much for spending time with us today!
BLACK IS FOR BEGINNINGS is a companion book to the BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES series. When my editor approached me with the idea of writing a graphic novel, I was very intrigued because it gave me the opportunity to not only try something new, but to really picture the book as a movie. I have a background in screenwriting and wrote BLACK IS FOR BEGINNINGS in screenplay format, adding in ideas for illustrations and sidebars. It was an absolute thrill to write, and to have the opportunity to work with an illustrator for these characters and situations I’d created. BLACK IS FOR BEGINNINGS does not take the place of a regular prose novel in the series. It is a companion piece, complimenting the entire series as a whole. It picks up where RED IS FOR REMEMBRANCE left off, and also shows some fan-favorite scenes from the entire series.
DEADLY LITTLE LIES is the sequel to DEADLY LITTLE SECRET, (the first book in the TOUCH series). I’m really excited about it, because I think it has even more suspense, romance, and twists than the first book. It starts up a few months after (Spoiler Alert) Ben’s departure at the end of DEADLY LITTLE SECRET. Camelia’s spent those months researching everything she can find on psychometry (the ability to sense through touch). See the full description below.
The BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES series that put a spell on more than half a million readers continues – in graphic novel format! Prophetic nightmares. Near-brushes with death. Killers pursuing her and her friends. Stacey Brown knows that being a hereditary witch isn’t all it's cracked up to be.
All she really wants to do is work things out with Jacob and figure out what to do with the rest of her life. But before Stacey and Jacob can have a future, they must face their pasts. BLACK IS FOR BEGINNINGS reveals the never-before-seen backstory - and what lies ahead - for the young, spellcasting lovers.
BLACK continues the harrowing adventures of Stacey and Jacob in the wake of Jacob's brush with death. Ever since he lost his memory, Jacob hasn't been able to remember Stacey - his own soul mate. He leaves Massachusetts, returning to his childhood home in Colorado, hoping to jog his memory. What he remembers is Kira, his ex-girlfriend. As Jacob works to piece together his past, will there be room for Stacey in his future?
"The half-million readers of Laurie Faria Stolarz’s paranormal mystery series will be happy with this shift to graphic style, offering as it does the pleasure of putting faces on characters, its visualized eeriness and vibrant displays of emotion...The graphic style allows Stolarz to distill the story while simultaneously dropping hints about Stacey and Jacob’s supernatural talents, luring new readers to the series." - Kirkus Reviews
"Taking Stolarz’s Blue Is for Nightmares series into the graphic-novel realm is a bold idea, and it pays off in this morbidly entertaining and surprisingly romantic page-turner." - Booklist
Last fall, sixteen-year-old Camelia fell for Ben, a new boy at school who had a very mysterious gift – psychometry, the ability to sense the future through touch. But just as Camelia and Ben's romance began to heat up, he abruptly left town. Brokenhearted, Camelia has spent the last few months studying everything she can about psychometry and experiencing strange brushes with premonition. Camelia wonders if Ben's abilities have somehow been transferred to her.
Ben returns to school, but he remains aloof, and Camelia can't get close enough to share her secret with him. Camelia makes the painful decision to let him go and move on. Adam, the hot new guy at Knead, seems good for her in ways Ben wasn't. But when Camelia and Adam start dating, a surprising love triangle results. A chilling sequence of events uncovers secrets from Ben’s past – and Adam's. Someone is lying, and it's up to Camelia to figure out who – before it's too late.
View the Book Trailer for Deadly Little Secret: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzMpVMy2fQ
Below, you’ll find Stacey Brown’s courage sachet spell, Camelia’s favorite psychometry links, and some tips Camelia has to develop your psychometric powers. I’m also including some random facts about me.
Lastly, the paperback of DEADLY LITTLE SECRET will be out in November as well. For a limited time Barnes & Noble will be releasing an exclusive edition that will have excerpts from Ben’s secret blog.
Many thanks again for this opportunity to chat! Be sure to visit my website, where you’ll find more contests under NEWS, and information about upcoming signings (www.lauriestolarz.com).
Stacey Brown's Courage Sachet
Purpose: To help conquer your biggest fears.
Ingredients: swatch of cheesecloth, dried thyme, small piece of paper, black ball-point pen, piece of string.
1. On the piece of paper, using the black ball-point pen, write whatever it is you fear.
2. Fold this paper up, as tight as you can get it, imagining your fear becoming smaller and weaker with each crease.
3. Lay the cheesecloth open in front of you and drop the folded paper ball into the middle. 4. Sprinkle the dried thyme atop it.
5. Gather the ends of the cheesecloth and tie closed with the piece of string.
6. Hold the sachet and repeat the following chant three times: I fear you now but not for long for with my courage you will be gone.
7. Keep this courage sachet with you whenever you need to remind yourself that you are much stronger than your fears.
For more spells, go here: http://www.llewellyn.com/spell.php
Camelia’s Favorite Links About Psychometry:
Directions on how to bring your own psychometric senses to fruition
1. Make yourself comfortable in a place that feels “sacred” to you. For some it’s outside, surrounded by nature; for others it’s a favorite chair or surrounded by candles; for me, it’s wherever I’m doing pottery.
2. Close your eyes and concentrate on your breath, letting go of any stray or nervous thoughts.
3. Now, take an object in your hand. A good idea is to have someone give you something they’ve owned for a long time, i.e. a favorite bracelet or a set of keys.
4. Close your eyes again and concentrate on this object. Be aware of any thoughts or feelings that come about as a result of holding this object. Talk those ideas through, even if they seem silly or insignificant, but never make information up.
Remember, this takes practice and a bit of experimenting. The goal is to begin tuning in to your own inner awareness and your ability of perception. What works for me is saying a question aloud in my head, and then sculpting out the answer – using my power of touch in a creative and organic way.
RANDOM FACTS ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
1. I love what I do, and feel very grateful to be able to have this as a career.
2. I love dark chocolate, Starbucks coffee, Bertucci’s cheeseless pizza, popcorn, and Indian food (though not necessarily in one meal).
3. I watch an embarrassing amount of reality TV (it’s research after all).
4. I’m very deadline driven, giving myself weekly deadlines and agendas, so that everything gets done on time.
5. I have a background in marketing and French.
6. My first job was as a piano teacher (I was 9). I’ve also been a waitress, a supermarket cashier, worked in a ceramics studio, worked as a tour guide for international exchange students, been a teacher, a script reader, an editor, and written obituaries for a newspaper.
7. I’m a vegetarian. If I were to try my hand at a different career, it would be holistic nutritionist.
8. I love yoga, dance/aerobics classes, cooking, tennis, and power walks.
9. I often shop online, fill my basket, and then empty it all out. Does anyone else do this?
10. My readers mean the world to me.
Thanks so much for stopping by Laurie! And...the FNC has some exciting contest news for you!
After you finish entering Laurie's contests, enter ours!
Leave a comment below and enter for a chance to win one of five prizes!
We are giving away TWO signed copies of STACEY'S SPELLBOOK
TWO signed copies of BLACK IS FOR BEGINNINGS
ONE signed copy of DEADLY LITTLE SECRET (TOUC)
ONE signed copy of DEADLY LITTLE LIES ARC (TOUCH)
Here's how to enter: You must be a follower and leave a comment below.
+1 for everytime you repost. So for example if you run two blogs and post on both of them (+2). Or if you repost on your blog, twitter and facebook (+3). Please leave your email address and links to the reposts.
The Fine Print:
Contest is open worldwide. Winner will be contacted by email at the close of contest. If you do not leave your email address in your comment, it is your responsibility to check back at the FNC blog to see if you've won. You have 72 hours to claim your prize, or an alternate winner will be chosen.
Contest runs until 10/31 at 11:59PM EST.
(Also check out our other October contest STALKERS and SERIAL KILLERS).
THANKS again Laurie!!